Skip to main content

JOURNAL OF THE JOURNALIST NEXT DOOR - BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL CAREER: The Writing Experience...

Building a successful career is often about persistence, learning, and adapting, especially in those early days when everything feels unfamiliar. I remember when I resumed work years ago, still somewhat "grey" despite my prior experiences at various places: a brief stint at NTA, the Public Relations Unit of a State University, a telecommunications company as a Marketing Officer, and even as Advert Manager of a small newspaper publishing firm. Those roles had prepared me, but the terrain still felt new. I never allowed myself to be idle. Even while pursuing further academic qualifications to better fit into my vision of becoming a high-flying PR professional, I was always striving to learn more, pushing myself beyond my limits. I wanted to be ready for the challenges that came with the path I had chosen. One aspect that truly tested me was writing. There are many types and styles of writing, and I quickly learned that in a professional setting, your editor holds the final say. Every organization has its specific writing style, known as the "house style," and sometimes, a piece of work you feel proud of can be rejected simply for not aligning with it. I would often write, thinking I had done a great job, only for my editor to challenge me: "Are you writing a news story or a report?" It was tough at first, but I refused to get frustrated. Instead, I studied the style meticulously, paying attention to the differences. In the early days, I would write directly, making minimal changes from the transcription, just enough to suit the event and avoid rejection. It wasn't always easy, but I never gave up, and I never got discouraged. Even when I wasn’t assigned to write, I did so voluntarily. I stayed committed to the process, refining my craft with each draft. Sooner than later, I mastered the house style, gaining confidence, and eventually, I began to write without fear of rejection. Success is built brick by brick, and learning the ropes is just the beginning. It’s the constant effort, the willingness to improve, and the determination not to give up that shapes a truly successful career.
Lessons Learned: 1. Hard Work and Persistence Pay Off: Success is rarely immediate. You need to put in consistent effort, even when the path seems unclear or challenging. I never allowed myself to be idle and continuously worked hard, even while pursuing further education. 2. Learning is a Continuous Process: No matter how prepared one feels, there is always room for growth and learning. My prior experiences did not fully prepare me for the demands of my new job, so I had to and still am embracing the learning process because learning is continuous. 3. Adaptability is Key: Every workplace has its unique culture and expectations. The concept of the "house style" demonstrates that it’s important to adapt to ones environment, even if it means adjusting what one thought one knew. 4. Constructive Criticism is a Gift: Receiving feedback is not always easy, especially when it feels like your work is being rejected. However, I learnt to see it as a chance to improve, not something to be discouraged by. 5. Perseverance through Challenges: Despite setbacks, I stayed committed. Instead of giving up, I kept writing and adapting, proving that perseverance is essential for mastering new skills. 6. Take Initiative: Be proactive. Do not wait to be told everything before you get to doing it. Even if you get rejected, do not stop. Push yourself, just write and keep writing it will eventually pay off. 7. Success Takes Time: Mastery doesn’t happen overnight. It is a gradual process that required my patience, practice, and resilience. Tips to Pick Up: 1. Embrace Feedback: See every piece of constructive criticism as an opportunity to improve, not as a personal attack on your abilities. 2. Stay Flexible and Adapt: Be willing to adjust your approach to fit the specific needs of your role or organization. Flexibility in your skillset makes you more valuable. 3. Be Consistent: Keep working at your craft, even when you face obstacles. Regular effort and practice are the foundations of success. 4. Take Initiative: Don’t wait to be assigned tasks. Actively seek opportunities to contribute, learn, and improve. This shows dedication and can accelerate your career growth. 5. Learn the Culture of Your Workplace: Whether it's a house style or the way things are done, understanding and fitting into your organization's culture will help you succeed. 6. Stay Resilient: Setbacks are a natural part of growth. Don’t get discouraged. Instead, focus on how each challenge is preparing you for greater success. 7. Invest in Yourself: Pursue further academic qualifications to better fit your aspirations, continually invest in your personal and professional development. It enhances your expertise and readiness for greater challenges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold the full list of winners of the 2014 MTV Movie Awards plus red carpet things.. .

The 2014 MTV Movie Awards held last night, Sunday, April 13th, at the Nokia Theatre at the L.A. Live entertainment district in Los Angeles. Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora, Rihanna and Lupita, rapper Iggy Azalea, Channing Rating and wife, Jessica Alba, Lupita Nyong'I,  Ellen Page  among others were at the event last night with Eminem and Rihanna preforming. See  photos and full list of winners... Full list of winners below... BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire BEST MALE PERFORMANCE Josh Hutcherson, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR The Hunger Games: Catching Fire BEST ON-SCREEN TRANSFORMATION Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE Jonah Hill, The Wolf Of Wall Street BEST VILLAIN Mila Kunis, Oz The Great And Powerful BEST SHIRTLESS PERFORMANCE Zac Efron, That Awkward Moment TRAILBLAZER AWARD Channing Tatum THE BEST KISS Will Poulter Jennifer Aniston, and Emma Roberts, We're The Millers BEST

Married Senior Pastor sleeps with 13 Women and gets endorsement

The Brong Ahafo Regional Pastor of Calvary Charismatic Centre, Roger Ohene Frempong confessed to haven had sexual affairs and relations with four married women and nine young ladies of which seven are members of his congregation.  This happened after some members of the church heard some of the victims’ confessing to some friends of the actions of the pastor but what actually broke the camel's back was when the pastor was caught passing the night with a 20 year old lady who is a student of University of Ghana in a Hotel in Kumasi during the mother church’s annual Youth Camp which took place at Africa Hall, KNUST in August this year. Upon confrontation, the pastor finally conceded and confessed after he heard the evidences and testimonies of his bad deeds. This article is not to defame him but to draw attention to the rising issues of men of God who take undue advantage of women because of their positions. The character of some of these weak men of God negatively a

Naked man drags prostitute back to hotel room to recover stolen money

Wonders they say would never seize to occur! This man must have had more than naira notes to have stormed out of his hotel room in search of this prostitute that made away with his money without remembering to pick an item of clothe to cover his nakedness#surprised#. The story is that after he fell asleep the prostitute tried to run away with all his money. Luckily, he woke in time and went after her, amazingly without even having to think about wearing anything.   Fortunately, he found her and dragged her back to the hotel room. What happened next remains unknown.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn! I no fit shout o!